Saturday 13 June 2009

Testing a Standard SLR

I recently purchased the Canon EOS 500n. This is a film SLR that's compatible with lenses I already own. I came across the camera on ebay where I won it for £30, not too bad I thought. I decided I'd like to experiment with film photography instead of sticking purely with digital. I'll still be using my DSLR to complete TAoP course but I shall refer to experiments and photographs I've taken with the film SLR as I progress. The main reason I purchased the SLR was due to it capturing images at 35mm "full frame". The EOS 450D (DSLR) has an APS-C sensor which only captures images at 22.2 × 14.8mm, this is 1.6× smaller than a 35mm frame and means that photographs are cropped. When a photograph is taken at a focal length of 18mm on the 450D this is equivalent to a focal length of 28.8mm on the 500n (35mm film SLR).

As I am particularly interested in wide-angle photography I wanted a way of capturing the widest images possible without spending a ridiculous amount on a "super" wide-angle lens with a focal length of 10mm.. even then only capturing at 16mm.

So far I've only taken a few pictures with my SLR but as soon as I've finished the roll, I'll share some of the images. I've found I take a lot more care when using it, I don't take quick "snapshots" anymore, I take my time, plan my shot, wait for the perfect moment as batteries, film and developing are expensive. I'm hoping that this will teach me to do the same when using my DSLR as I have 1000s of photographs I don't feel are any good or are pretty much identical to each other yet I can't bring myself to delete them.


Canon EOS 500n________________Canon EOS 450D