Saturday 12 September 2009

Coloured Filters with Black and White Photography

In this project I shall experiment with coloured filters to see how they effect tones in Black and White Photography. I have created a still life scene using fruit with a blue background. I have used fruit as I feel they have very strong, natural colours. As I don't think there is any form of food with a blue colour I chose to use a blue background.

Original Colour Version...............Black and White Version


Red Filter
37mm, 1/3sec, f/10 ISO-400

Yellow Filter
37mm, 1/4sec, f/10 ISO-400

Blue Filter
37mm, 0.6sec, f/10, ISO-400

From the photographs above we can see that when using a coloured filter, any subject of the same colour is lightened and the other colours are darkened. The darkening effect is strongest on the subjects that are complementary colours to that of the filter.

When using Black-and-White film for outdoor photography the sky will expose quite darkly on the negative and therefore light on the print; to counteract this, a Yellow, Orange or Red filter can be applied to the lens as this will darken Blue tones.