Friday 4 June 2010

A Narrative Picture Essay

For Project 63: A Narrative Picture Essay, I decided that I wanted to create a storyboard of a band playing a gig. I’ve merged this project with number 62: Researching an Event as they flow nicely into one another.

13/05/10 Researching – The Hungry Pigeon Festival

Band: Clockwork Radio

Date: 28th of May 2010

Venue: The Waldorf in Manchester

Having contacted the band’s bass player (Nadim Mirshak), he assured me that taking my DSLR wouldn’t be a problem as they appreciate any free advertisement.

Members:

  • Rich Williams : Guitar/Vocals
  • Iwan Jones : Guitar/Backing Vocals
  • Nadim Mirshak : Bass
  • Dan Wiebe : Percussion/Drums

Unfortunately, there’s a band playing before Clockwork Radio and therefore I will be unable to take any photographs of the band setting up the stage.

Expected shots:

  • Equipment on empty stage before the show
  • The band coming on stage
  • Band setting up
  • Band playing
  • Audience
  • Individual members of the band
  • Close-ups of equipment
  • Band finishing
  • Band leaving stage
  • Empty stage at end

28/05/10 The Event: Clockwork Radio @Hungry Pigeon Festival

Setting up: Although the majority of the equipment was already on the stage, I managed to capture a few shots of the band plugging in their instruments and the microphone before it was in use.

Preparation and Tuning: The band also prepared and tuned their instruments on stage before beginning

Beginning to play: As the band started to play, I battled the poor light conditions to attempt to capture sharp images.

Well underway: A few songs in and I’m still shooting, experimenting with telephoto and wide angle

The Crowd: The crowd watch on as Clockwork Radio do what they do best

Clockwork Radio_44

Coming to an end: As the band play their final song I capture what I can of the remaining few minutes

Packing up: The band pack away their equipment

What’s left on stage? An amplifier, empty drum kit and an abandoned microphone

I thoroughly enjoyed watching and shooting Clockwork Radio! Their musical style is exactly to my taste being Hard, Alternative Rock. Check them out at http://www.clockworkradio.co.uk/

I’m very thankful to Clockwork Radio for letting me take photographs at their gig to help me with this project and in return I have given them my photographs to help them promote their band.