Thursday 1 July 2010

Rain

Below is a shot I have taken that I feel portrays rain quite well. To produce this shot I simply sprinkled the garden hose over the bonnet of my car and set my camera on a tripod. It was taken at 22:02 on 30th of June therefore the sun was just about to set and the sky was overcast, as it would be if it were actually raining.

rain dropsISO- 1600, 200mm, 1/8sec, f/5.6

I decided to take this shot so late in the evening purely because of the dull light conditions. I like how even though the bonnet of my car is black, I can still see the colour of the sky reflected in it. The dull light conditions and extremely diffused light help to create a nice gradual contrast between the lit and shadowed areas. f/5.6 is the widest aperture I was able to achieve as 200mm and so I needed an alternate way to correctly expose the shot. I used a very high ISO of 1600 instead of a long shutter speed because some of the water droplets were moving and didn’t want them to end up blurred.