Monday 18 May 2009

Recording a Sequence

For this project, the course material suggests finding a situation that involves people such as a parade or market place. I could not seem to find what I felt was a suitable location; I chose a public place but instead of photographing the people, I recorded my movements around the area and the interesting subjects within it. Whilst in Sheffield I found a picturesque square called Barker's Pool that contained a variety of objects and structures that caught my eye. Barker's Pool is a public plaza and street in the centre of the Sheffield. The focus of Barker's Pool is a ninety foot tall First World War memorial. It is also home to the City Hall and two glass-cased fountains.


I began By panning round and snapping objects that caught my eye.


Took some wider shots to show the layout of the square.


I decided the WWI memorial would be a good subject.


Experimenting with portrait format and continuing to show the square's layout.


Closing in on the memorial.


Even closer, capturing the detail.


Changing composition to capture different and more interesting shots.


I spotted the fountain in the background and decided to have a closer look.


Decided upon the main subject.


Started to change composition to capture best image possible.


Decided the subject does not suit a vertical frame.


Experimenting with shutter speed to capture water in different ways.


Hard to see a difference in such small pictures.
When changing shutter speed I could either freeze the water droplets or make them very blurred.


I decided to shoot from an angle to create a more interesting composition.

24mm, 1/250sec, f/10

For my final image I set the shutter speed to capture visible droplets of water around the outside but to keep the faster water in the middle blurred. I used a short focal length as I felt capturing a wide angle shot would create a more interesting result.

Overall I'm quite pleased with my final image. A lot of the photographs are very poorly composed but after all they are but quick snapshots to document my progress towards the final shot.