Wednesday 26 August 2009

Rhythm and Pattern

Rhythm and Pattern in photography are created when captured subjects have a repetitive theme. The difference between them is that rhythm is to do with movement across a picture/the movement of the eye through a picture, while pattern is a static image of repeating subjects that appear to have no end to the repetition.

Rhythm
A Radiator
55mm, 1/2sec, f/14, ISO-800

I have chosen a radiator for my first subject as it clearly conveys a rhythm. As the undulating curves pass from left to right, the eye follows the beat through the photograph.

Pattern

Sliced Fruit on a light box
55mm, 1/2sec, f/10, ISO-200

For my second image, I placed slices of fruit onto a lightbox. The pattern I have created appears to continue outside the boundaries of the frame.