Thursday 20 May 2010

Macro Photography

Macro photography is close-up photography. The classical definition is that the image projected on the "film plane" (i.e., film or a digital sensor) is close to the same size as the subject. Lenses designed for macro are usually at their sharpest at macro focus distances and are not quite as sharp at other focus distances.

I feel that I have a very simplistic style and Macro photography some how suits this. I like how a subject can take up the entire frame but when magnified to the extreme it can be difficult to recognise. Another reason for my fascination of Macro would have to be that when a tiny subject is scaled up, we can see things that we may not have realised were even there.

At the time of taking this photo I was unaware that there was a spider web in the shotIMG_5704

Cactus with very short depth of field f/2.8IMG_5612

Centre of a flower in the gardenIMG_4097

I decided to try macro in black and white as I find it to be very dramatic. I feel that the drama that black white brings to a shot gives simplistic subjects much more texture and interest.macro wood b w

Not quite as extreme magnification as other shots, however it is still macro and it is one of my favourites.the old door2

 wood2